Save to your scrapbook
Warm beetroot, spelt & smoked trout salad
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
• 100g quick cook Italian spelt
• 1⁄2 tsp caraway seeds
• 1⁄2 large orange, scrubbed, zest and juice
• 2 tbsp Essential Olive Oil
• 1 small bulb fennel, trimmed, fronds reserved
• 1 raw beetroot (about 160g), scrubbed and coarsely grated
• 125g hot smoked rainbow trout fillets, flaked into bitesized pieces
1. Cook the spelt according to pack instructions. Meanwhile, in a small pan, toast the caraway seeds over a low heat until they start to smell fragrant (about 1 minute), then crush in a pestle and mortar. Add the orange zest, most of the juice and 11⁄2 tbsp oil. Muddle together and season to make a dressing.
2. Slice the fennel very thinly (use a mandolin if you have one) and put aside in a bowl; toss with the remaining orange juice and 1⁄2 tbsp oil; season. Once the spelt is cooked, drain well and tip back into the saucepan. Mix well with the grated beetroot and dressing. Divide between plates and top with the fennel, trout and reserved fennel fronds. Serve straightaway.
Typical values per serving:
high in omega 3