This simple soup, with its clean, peppery watercress taste, is ideal for a warming, nutritious lunch, served with spicy flatbreads.
Watercress Soup with Chilli Flatbreads
- Waitrose Cooks' Ingredients Olive Oil Spray
- 1 large leek, washed and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 potatoes (about 450g), peeled and diced
- 1 litre hot vegetable stock
- 2 x 100g bags watercress
- To serve
- 4 tsp half fat crème fraîche
- ½ x 130g pack No-No Hot 'N' Spicy Fat Free Flat Breads, from the grocery section
- Spray the base of a large, deep saucepan with a little olive oil and fry the leek and garlic for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the leek starts to soften.
- Add the stock and diced potato, and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the potato is tender.
- Add the watercress and cook for 1-2 minutes until it begins to wilt but still retains its colour. Season with cracked black pepper, then blend until smooth using an electric hand blender or food processor.
- Ladle the soup into individual bowls, spoon in a dollop of crème fraîche and serve with the flatbreads.
Try making chunky croutons using leftover bread. Toss cubes of bread in a little olive oil, dried mixed herbs and seasoning. Toast in a hot oven for 5 minutes or until golden brown and crunchy.
Crisp, unoaked white wine is a great match for this simple soup.
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes to 30 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes to 35 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 17 ratings
This recipe was first published in Sun Apr 01 01:00:00 BST 2007.