A light sweet summer cake, bursting with fresh strawberries and layered with a vanilla white chocolate cream filling.
White Chocolate Strawberry cream cake
- Total time: 50m
For the Sponge
150g white Fairtrade chocolate
200g unsalted butter
3 large free range eggs
150g caster sugar
200g self-raising flour
2 large scoops vanilla ice-cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Filling
500g ripe strawberries
1tbsp caster sugar
100g white fairtrade chocolate
150ml double or whipping cream
Icing sugar for dusting
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F/ Gas 4 To make the sponge, break up the white chocolate and melt gently with the butter. Then remove from the heat and leave to cool until use.
- Break the eggs into a mixing bowl. Add the sugar and vanilla extract. Using an electric whisk, whisk on full power for around 4minutes, until the mixture is extremely thick and creamy. When you lift the whisk out of the mixture it should leave a ribbon-like trail. Gently stir the chocolate mixture then whisk into the egg, sugar and vanillla. Stir in the ice cream. Carefully fold in the flour using a metal spoon. Divide the mixture between two greased sandwhich tins, and spread evenly.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for around 20minutes until a light golden brown and the delicate sponge springs back when pressed. Run a knife around the inside of the tin to gently loosen the cakes, turn out onto a rack and leave to cool.
- To make the filling, thinly slice 250g of the strawberries, saving half of the better looking ones for decoration. Put the sliced strawberries into a bowl and add the sugar. Grate the white chocolate and gently fold half into the cream.
- Place one sponge on presentation stand or board, and cover with the chocolate cream, then place the sugar mixed strawberries on top. Place the second sponge carefully on top and decorate with the remaining strawberries, grated white chocolate and a dusting of icing sugar.