Winter vegetable salad with hazelnuts
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
1 tsp caster sugar
Pinch of salt
1–2 tbsp lemon juice
50g unblanched hazelnuts, roughly chopped
1 thick slice granary bread, about 75g, torn into small pieces
220g Tenderstem or purple sprouting broccoli, halved lengthways
2 x 160g packs Waitrose Flower Sprouts
1 tbsp olive oil
25g pack fresh parsley, leaves only
110g pack pomegranate seeds
100g essential Waitrose Greek Light Salad Cheese, crumbled
1. Place the red onion and celery in a large glass serving bowl and sprinkle with the sugar and a pinch of salt. Add the lemon juice, stir together well and set aside.
2. Heat a non-stick frying pan and cook the hazelnuts and bread for 5 minutes until nicely browned. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cook the broccoli in a large saucepan of boiling water for two minutes, then add the flower sprouts for a further minute. Drain well and cool under running water, then add to the salad bowl and drizzle over the oil. Toss well together.
4. Scatter the parsley, pomegranate, cheese, and the hazelnuts and crunchy bread over the vegetables. Drizzle over a little extra oil and a grind of black pepper if you wish, and serve.
Get ahead by preparing the salad in advance, then scatter over the hazelnuts and crunchy breadcrumbs just before serving.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 20 minutes
Typical values per serving:
2 of your 5 a day
Average user rating Based on 25 ratings