A salsa of avocado and juicy mangoes makes this simple fish dish a delicious treat. And it's ready in under 20 minutes.
Yellow-Fin Tuna Steaks with Mango and Avocado
- 2 Alphonso mangoes, peeled, stoned and cubed
- 1 large ripe Hass avocado, peeled, stoned and cubed
- ½ red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- ½ x 20g pack fresh mint, roughly chopped
- ½ x 25g pack fresh basil, roughly torn
- ½ x 20g pack fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Juice of 2 limes and grated zest of 1 lime
- 4 yellow-fin tuna steaks (900g total weight), about 2cm thick, from the fish service counter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Place the mango, avocado, chilli, herbs, lime juice and zest in a bowl and season. Mix together and set the salsa aside.
- Meanwhile, place a griddle or frying pan over a high heat. Brush the tuna steaks with the oil and season. Place them on the griddle and cook for 1-1½ minutes on each side for rare, or 2 minutes on each side for medium.
- Serve with the salsa, lime wedges and a bag of Waitrose Red Butterhead Salad.
The salsa can be prepared a few hours ahead. Simply place in a non-metallic bowl, cover with clingfilm and keep in the fridge until needed. It is best served at room temperature.
A rich, elegant red wine would work well with this dish.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 4 minutes
- Total time: 19 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 10 ratings
This recipe was first published in Sun Apr 01 01:00:00 BST 2007.