Who hasn’t caught a whiff of a flower, a fruit, or a gust of salty air, years after a holiday, and been transported back there in a flash? Well (as co-founder of The Perfume Society), I like to help things along a little by specifically choosing scented products before I head holiday-wards – even matching them to my destination – knowing that when I return home, those same treats will remind me of that vacation, every time I use them.
1. essential Waitrose Pink Grapefruit & Orange Blossom Body Wash, £1. A walk in an orange grove before breakfast, with a glass of just-squeezed juice in your hand, this zesty wash is an everyday invigorator.
2. Neal’s Yard Remedies Lavender Bath Salts, £14.50. Swoosh under running water and you’re right there in Provence.
3. Treacle Moon One Ginger Morning Bath & Shower Gel, £2.99. Spice up your bathing ritual with a treat that evokes the Far East: warm, invigorating and exotic.
4. Korres Santorini Vine Shower Gel, £8. Summer lunches under vine-twined bowers in sunny Greece.
5. Lanolips Banana Balm 3-in-1, £8.99. A Caribbean holiday in a multitasking balm; it also gives a flattering shimmer.
6. essential Waitrose Cocoa Butter & Shea Butter Intensive Hand & Body Lotion, £1.29. Few of us, perhaps, will encounter either of these skin-softening ingredients in the wild, but they smell wonderfully, evocatively tropical.
7. Argan+ Moroccan Rose Hand & Nail Cream, £7.99. Morocco’s the heartland of rose-growing, for perfume – and this smells like armfuls of blooms.