Save to your scrapbook
Avant-Garde Vegan's ultimate Christmas roast 'wreath'
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
While all Waitrose recipes are tested extensively, we do not test any community or third party recipes, so cannot verify the results or answer queries concerning them.
3 tbs Olive Oil
1 Red Onion, chopped fine
2 Cloves of Garlic
1 Leek, washed, chopped fine
1 cup/200g Butternut Squash, peeled & cubed small.
1 cup/75g Chestnut Mushroom, roughly chopped
1/2 cup/60g Vacuum Packed Chestnut, roughly chopped
1/2 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp All Spice
1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 Sprig of Fresh Rosemary, chopped fine
10 Fresh Sage Leave, chopped fine
Zest of 1 Lemon
1 cup/75g Red Lentils, Cooked
1 cup/75g Mixed Nuts
1/2 cup/45g Gluten Free Breadcrumbs
1/4 cup/50g Dried Cranberries, roughly chopped
1/4 cup/50g Dried Apricots, roughly chopped
1/4 cup/50g Sun Dried Tomatoes, roughly chopped
3 tbs Balsamic Vinegar
1 tbs White Miso Paste
CRANBERRY SAUCE TOPPING
300g Fresh Cranberries
1 tsp Minced Ginger
1 small Cinnamon Stick
1 Braeburn Apple, grated
200g Caster Sugar
240ml Orange Juice
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees, grease & line a tin of your choice I used a circular smooth Bundt style tin however a loaf tin works well.
2. Preheat a large saucepan over a medium heat & add the olive oil. Sauté the onion, garlic, pepper, leek, squash, mushrooms & chestnuts for 2 minutes. Stirring often.
3. After a few minutes of cooking, add the spices, herbs, some seasoning & lemon zest.
4. Turn the heat down, and allow to cook for 8-10 minutes. Stirring every now and then. You just want all the flavours to marry together & the vegetables to slightly soften.
5. Whilst the vegetables are cooking, blitz the nuts until they are a crumb like consistency.
6. To a bowl add the nuts, lentils, breadcrumbs, cranberries, apricots & tomatoes. Once the vegetables have softened add them too the bowl. Mix everything together and stir in the balsamic & Miso Paste.
7. Compact the mix into your lined tin. Compress it down as much as you can. Once you've filled your tin, cover it over with foil then place in the oven to roast for 30-35 minutes.
8. Meanwhile to make the cranberry sauce, add all the ingredients to a heavy based saucepan & mix everything together then place over a low heat, allow to cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring often. Once cooked place in a clean jar until ready to serve.
9. Once the roast is cooked, allow it to cool for 5 minutes before turning it out of your tin. Serve with the cranberry sauce & fried sage leaves.