Save to your scrapbook
Beetroot, chocolate and walnut torte
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
250g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
50g walnut halves or pieces
250g cooked beetroot, drained
1 orange, zest, plus extra to serve
1 tsp vanilla extract
250g dark chocolate, chopped
250g light brown muscovado sugar
75g cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
crème fraîche, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C, gas mark 4. Lightly grease the base and sides of a 23cm springform cake tin and line with parchment, so that the paper stands proud of the rim. Put the walnuts on a baking tray and roast for 4-5 minutes until lightly toasted. Remove and leave to cool, then chop finely.
2. Put the beetroot, orange zest, vanilla and a pinch of salt in a small food processor or blender and whizz until totally smooth.
3. Meanwhile, put the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl and sit over a saucepan of gently simmering water – the bottom of the bowl shouldn’t be in contact with the water. Heat gently until the butter and chocolate melt, then stir together. Stir in the blended beetroot (you can whizz the mixture again at this point if it isn’t totally smooth). Leave to cool a little.
4. Whisk the eggs and sugar with an electric whisk until well combined and slightly frothy; gently fold in the chocolate beetroot mixture. Sift in the cornflour, cocoa and baking powder, then fold in the chopped walnuts until well combined.
5. Tip into the lined tin; bake for 35-40 minutes until risen and cracked on top, but still slightly gooey when pierced with a knife. Remove from the oven; leave to cool. It will sink and become squidgy. If you can leave it for 24 hours the texture will be even better. Serve with a dollop of crème fraîche and extra orange zest.
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose & Partners Food, October 2018 issue. Download the Waitrose & Partners Food app for the full issue
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Thu Sep 27 12:58:00 BST 2018.
Average user rating