Save to your scrapbook
Chipotle bean burger with sweet potato wedges
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
700g sweet potatoes
1 tbsp sunflower oil
75g wholemeal bread
5 salad onions
400g can essential Waitrose Mixed Bean Salad, drained and rinsed
1 essential Waitrose Free Range Egg
1 tbsp Cooks’ Ingredients Chipotle Paste
100g mild Peppadew peppers, finely chopped
Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
8 large lettuce leaves
1. Heat the oven to 220°C, gas mark 7. Cut the sweet potatoes into thin wedges, place on a baking tray, drizzle and toss in 2 tsp oil. Season and bake for 30 minutes, turning once.
2. Meanwhile, in a food processor, whizz the bread to coarse crumbs. Add 4 chopped salad onions, the beans, egg and chipotle paste, then pulse until coarsely chopped.
3. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan. Shape the mixture into 4 patties about 2cm thick. Add to the pan and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes each side until lightly browned. Transfer to the sweet potato tray and cook for 5 minutes in the oven.
4. Slice the last salad onion and mix with the peppers, lime zest and juice.
5. Serve the burgers in ‘cups’ made from 2 lettuce leaves, with the sides.
Cook’s tip Double the recipe and wrap the uncooked bean burgers in clingfilm, then open-freeze until solid and stack in a freezer box until needed.
Typical values per serving:
High in vitamin A, 1264µg
This recipe was first published in Sat Dec 30 12:11:00 GMT 2017.