Save to your scrapbook
Cod & caper fishcakes with watercress salad
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for frying/baking
6 salad onions, chopped
400g leftover cooked cod
400g cold mashed potato
2 tbsp capers, rinsed, drained and chopped
1 tbsp each chopped flat leaf parsley, dill and chives
75g plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
2 medium free-range eggs, beaten
75g reserved cheesy breadcrumbs (from the crunchy cod recipe)
Lemon wedges, to serve
For the watercress salad
200g frozen peas
2 tsp wholegrain mustard
4 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
160g cherry tomatoes, quartered
1. Heat a dash of olive oil in a saucepan, add the salad onions and fry over a gentle heat for 1-2 minutes or until softened. Take off the heat.
2. Remove the lemon slices from the fish, then flake the cooked fish into a large bowl, discarding any bones and skin. Add the mashed potato, capers, chopped herbs and salad onions, season well and mix together. Divide into 8 patties, then roll each one in seasoned flour, shake off the excess, dip in beaten egg, then finally in the reserved breadcrumb mix. Place on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment and chill for at least 20 minutes to firm up.
3. Meanwhile, make the watercress salad. Cook the peas in a pan of boiling water for 2 minutes, drain and refresh in cold water. Place the mustard in a small jug, add the 4 tbsp olive oil and lemon juice, season and whisk together.
4. If you’re frying the fishcakes, heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan over a low-medium heat. Add the fishcakes, in batches, and fry for 4-5 minutes on each side until heated through. Alternatively, preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Place the fishcakes on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment, drizzle with a little oil and bake for 15 minutes. Turn over the fishcakes and bake for another 5-8 minutes or until golden brown all over and cooked through.
5. To serve, divide the watercress, peas and tomatoes among 4 plates, drizzle over the dressing, then add 2 fishcakes per person and extra lemon wedges to squeeze over.
Typical values per serving:
Low in saturated fat.
This recipe was first published in Thu Jan 02 09:58:34 GMT 2020.
Average user rating