Save to your scrapbook
Heston's chicken terrine & sweetcorn fritters recipe | Waitrose
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
'Sweetcorn fritters and a simple chipotle mayo bring a bit of Mexican magic to this terrine' - Heston Blumenthal
FOR THE ROAST CHICKEN
1 celery stick
8 chicken thighs
¼ x 20g pack thyme
2 bay leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE TERRINE
2 x 500g pouches Heston from Waitrose Chicken Stock
150g carrots, peeled and cut into small cubes
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
100g celery, cut into small cubes
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
200g button mushrooms, quartered
¼ x 20g pack thyme, leaves only
4g parsley leaves
3g tarragon leaves
FOR THE CHIPOTLE MAYONNAISE
35g Cooks’ Ingredients Chipotle Paste
10g white wine vinegar
FOR THE SWEETCORN FRITTERS
115g plain flour
15g caster sugar
8g baking powder
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
125g whole milk
1 medium egg
326g tin sweetcorn, drained
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Place the carrot, celery and onion in a roasting tray. Place the chicken thighs on top of the vegetables and sprinkle the sprigs of thyme over. Add the bay leaves and season. Roast for approximately 25 minutes or until thoroughly cooked through, the juices run clear and there is no pink meat. Allow to cool completely
before removing the meat from the bones and shredding into medium size strands. Set aside 300g of the cooked chicken meat to use for the terrine.
2. Place the stock in a pan over a medium-high heat and reduce to a thick glaze. Allow to cool completely. Meanwhile, add the carrots with a small amount of butter to a pan over a medium heat and cook through. Place the onions and celery in a pan with a little oil and cook until translucent and cooked through.
3. In a different pan, add a little butter, garlic, mushrooms and thyme leaves. Sauté for a couple of minutes.
4. Place all of the terrine ingredients, including the reserved finely shredded chicken, in a bowl. Finely chop the parsley leaves and the tarragon and add to the bowl. Place the mixture on a sheet of clingfilm and roll into a log measuring about 4cm in diameter. Place in the fridge overnight.
5. Place all the ingredients for the chipotle mayo in a bowl and mix. Reserve, covered, in the fridge.
6. For the fritters, place all of the ingredients except the sweetcorn in a bowl and mix until well combined. Then stir in the sweetcorn. Heat a sauté pan over a medium-high heat and add a little oil, enough to form a thin layer on the surface of the pan. Spoon a small amount of the fritter mixture into the pan, approximately 5cm in diameter. Cook until golden brown, turn the fritter over and continue to cook until coloured. Remove from the pan.
7. Place the fritters on a platter, slice the cold terrine into discs, 0.5cm thick and place on top of the fritter. Serve with a drop of the chipotle mayonnaise on top.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in November 2014.