Save to your scrapbook
The Happy Pear’s Black bean, squash & roasted garlic burgers
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Steve first came up this recipe while on holidays with the family, it was quick, easy and worked out great on the barbeque. They go super on their own or served with some homemade ketchup and tzatziki in a pitta or flatbread.
Makes: 6 burgers
550g butternut squash (approx half a large squash), peeled, deseeded and cut into small chunks
5 cloves of garlic, peel left on
2 tbsp olive oil
150g unroasted unsalted cashew nuts
400g can black beans, drained and rinsed well
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
28g pack fresh coriander, roughly chopped
1 tbsp ground cumin
100g Waitrose LoveLife Rice Breadcrumbs (you could use any breadcrumbs of choice)
1. Preheat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4. Place the butternut squash and garlic cloves on a baking tray. Season and drizzle with the olive oil then roast for 25 minutes.
2. Place the cashew nuts on another baking tray and dry-roast for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place the beans into a large bowl together with the lemon zest, 2 tbsp juice and coriander.
4. Remove the cashew nuts from the oven and chop or break roughly. Place in the bowl with the beans. Once the squash is soft, take the tray out of the oven.
5. Peel the roasted garlic and chop roughly. Add to the black bean mixture with the roasted squash. 6. Use a potato masher to mash the ingredients - this should take a few minutes. Season, add the ground cumin and stir in the breadcrumbs.
7. Divide the mixture into 6 and shape into burgers.
8. Heat a large frying pan over a high heat and cook in a little olive oil for 2-3 minutes each side, until browned and hot throughout.
9. Serve with salad, tzatziki and red pesto.
This recipe was first published in January 2016.