Save to your scrapbook
Lamb meatball curry
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
2 tbsp coriander seeds
½ tbsp cumin seeds
2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp ground turmeric
Small pinch medium chilli powder
25g ghee or 2 tbsp groundnut oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
Thumb-sized piece ginger, grated
½ x 400g can essential Waitrose Chopped Tomatoes
250ml fresh chicken stock
160ml tin essential Waitrose Coconut Cream
essential Waitrose Natural yogurt to serve
1 green chilli, sliced, to serve
FOR THE MEATBALLS:
500g pack essential Waitrose Lamb Mince
28g pack fresh coriander, plus extra to serve
1 essential Waitrose Free Range egg, beaten
1. Toast the coriander and cumin in a dry pan until fragrant, then grind in a pestle and mortar until very fine. Mix with the garam masala, turmeric and chilli powder, and set aside.
2. Heat half the clarified butter in a pan, and fry the onion for 15 minutes over a gentle heat until soft and lightly golden. Stir in the garlic, ginger and spice mix, then fry for a further 3 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and stock and simmer gently for 15 minutes until reduced by half. Using a blender or food processor, blend until smooth and stir in the coconut cream.
4. Meanwhile, make the meatballs. In a large bowl, season the mince, then mix in the fresh coriander and egg. Shape into 32 ping pong-sized balls and set aside on a tray.
5. Heat the remaining clarified butter in a wide frying pan over a medium-high heat. Fry the koftas until browned all over then place into the simmering sauce.
6. Cook for a further 5 minutes. Garnish with a drizzle of yogurt, coriander leaves and green chilli, if desired.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Tue Dec 23 11:18:00 GMT 2014.