Save to your scrapbook
Lahmacun - Turkish pizza
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
For the dough:
3g dried active yeast
125g strong white bread flour plus extra for dusting
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp fine crystal sea salt
½ tsp caster sugar
For the lamb mince topping:
1 tbsp olive oil plus 1 tsp for drizzling
1 onion, finely diced
1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp Bart Blend Baharat
½ tsp smoked paprika
75g lamb mince
1 tomato, blitzed or finely chopped
10g flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 tsp Zataar (optional)
1. To make the dough, mix the yeast with 90ml warm water to re-activate it. Leave for 2-3 minutes until the yeast feels smooth. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, oil, salt, sugar and yeast mixture to make a dough.
2. Using your hands, bring the mixture together into a ball then tip out onto a lightly oiled surface. Knead for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place into a large bowl and loosely cover with a damp tea towel. Allow to prove for 45 minutes or until the dough has almost doubled in size.
3. To make the topping, warm a non-stick frying pan over a low heat. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add the onion and fry gently for about 10 minutes, or until translucent. Add the chilli, garlic, Baharat and smoked paprika then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
4. Place the lamb mince in a bowl and add the chopped tomato, parsley and seasoning. Add the cooled onion mixture and knead thoroughly with your hands.
5. Preheat the oven to 230°C, gas mark 8. To assemble, divide the dough in half. Roll out 1 piece of dough at a time, into a round or teardrop shape, to the thickness of a 1 pound coin. Drizzle or brush 1 tsp of olive oil over the dough and evenly scatter the spiced lamb mixture on top. Transfer the pizza to a floured baking sheet and cook in the oven for 5-8 minutes or until golden.
Recipe from the Waitrose & Partners Cookery School. Click here to find out more.
This recipe was first published in April 2019.