Save to your scrapbook
Martha Collison's lemon iced buns
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Pillowy, soft buns reminiscent of childhood birthday parties, with a zingy citrus twist. Perfect for kids and adults alike
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
250g strong white bread flour
250g plain flour
50g caster sugar
1 tsp salt
7g sachet fast action yeast
1 Waitrose British Blacktail Large Free Range Egg, beaten
150g icing sugar
1. Pour the milk into a small saucepan and add the butter. Heat on low until the butter has melted, remove from the heat, stir in half the lemon zest and allow to cool slightly.
2. Place the flours, sugar, salt and yeast into a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Gradually add three-quarters of the milk mixture, stirring until a rough dough forms, then add the beaten egg and mix until combined. Add the remaining milk mixture until you have a soft dough (you might not need to add all the milk).
3. Tip the dough out onto a lightly oiled surface and knead for around 10 minutes. The dough should be smooth and elastic. Alternatively, use the stand mixer to knead the dough on a low speed for 5-6 minutes. Place the kneaded dough into an oiled bowl, cover and leave to rise for 1-2 hours, or until the dough has doubled in size.
4. When the dough has risen, tip it out onto a lightly oiled surface and knead the dough a couple of times to knock out any irregular air bubbles. Divide the dough into 12 even-sized pieces and shape each into a rectangular roll about 10cm long. Place the buns onto a baking parchment lined baking tray, leaving around 1cm between each. You want them to touch each other as they bake. Cover the tray with oiled clingfilm and leave to rise for 1 hour, or until noticeably bigger in size.
5. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Bake the risen buns for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Allow to cool completely before icing.
6. To make the icing, mix the icing sugar with enough lemon juice to form a thick, spreadable paste. Spread the icing over the top of the buns, then sprinkle with lemon zest. Serve on the day they are made.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in July 2017.