Save to your scrapbook
MOB Kitchen's creamy vegan korma
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
"Creamy, coconutty, soothing. What more could you want from a curry? The cashews bring the crunch." - MOB Kitchen
1 butternut squash
1 brown onion
chilli (hot red pepper) flakes
tomato puree (paste)
400 g (2¼ cups) basmati rice
350-g (12½ oz) pot of dairy-free yogurt
fresh coriander (cilantro)
salt and pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C fan (200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6).
2. Cube 1 aubergine and 1 butternut squash. Add to a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and place in the preheated oven for 35 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, get your korma on. Finely chop 1 brown onion and grate a piece of ginger and 2 garlic cloves. Heat a large frying pan (skillet) with 1½ tablespoons of sesame oil and add the onion, ginger and garlic. Fry until soft, and then add 2 teaspoons of garam masala, a teaspoon of chilli flakes and 2 tablespoons of tomato puree. Stir everything together, and then add 200 ml (¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon) of water.
4. Get basmati rice in a pan with 2 parts boiling water. Cook until the water has been absorbed.
5. Add the ‘yogurt’ to the korma and stir it in. Add your roasted vegetables, with a large handful of chopped coriander (reserve some to garnish), 60 g (½ cup) cashew nuts and the juice of a lime.
6. Serve the korma over the steaming hot rice with the remaining coriander leaves scattered on top.
This recipe was first published in July 2019.