Save to your scrapbook
Moroccan crab cakes
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
200g peeled potatoes, chopped
200g white crab meat
3 salad onions, finely chopped
½ x 28g pack coriander, finely chopped
½ tsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp harissa paste
80g fresh breadcrumbs
1 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp olive oil, for frying
green salad, to serve
lemon wedges, to serve
1. Cook the potatoes in boiling water for 10-12 minutes, until tender. Drain and return to the pan. Season, then mash until smooth. Tip into a bowl, cover and leave to cool.
2. Add the crab, salad onion, coriander, paprika and 1 tbsp harissa to the potatoes. Tip in 40g breadcrumbs and mix well. Cover and chill for 10 minutes to firm up.
3. Put the remaining 40g breadcrumbs in a shallow dish, tip the flour onto a plate and whisk the egg in a small bowl. Divide the crab mixture into 4 equal portions and shape each into a patty. Dust with flour, patting off any excess, and brush a little egg all over each one. Dip into the breadcrumbs, coating all sides. Put on a cling-film-covered plate, cover and chill for 30 minutes or overnight.
4. Meanwhile, mix the remaining 1 tbsp harissa paste with the mayonnaise. Cover and chill until needed.
5. Heat the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over a gentle heat. Cook the crab cakes, turning once, for 10–15 minutes, or until golden, crispy and heated through. Serve immediately with the harissa mayonnaise, green salad and lemon wedges on the side.
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose Food, August 2017 issue. Download the Waitrose Food app for the full issue
Typical values per serving:
Per serving 2821kJ
This recipe was first published in August 2017.