Save to your scrapbook
Roast spatchcocked chicken, baked tomatoes and mustard
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
1 large chicken (about 1.8kg)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp picked thyme leaves
30g unsalted butter
4 plum (or 6 red choice) tomatoes, halved
300ml whipping cream
4 slices sourdough bread
1 garlic clove, halved
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C, gas mark 4. Spatchcock the chicken as per the instructions on page 111. Lay the chicken breast-side up, then score the thighs and drumsticks, cutting down to the bone and making 4 well-spaced cuts in each joint. Rub all over with 1 tbsp oil and press in the thyme leaves; season.
2. On the hob, heat up a large, heavy roasting pan. Add the remaining 1 tbsp oil and put the bird in skin-side down. Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes so that the skin starts to crisp up. Transfer to the oven; cook for 1 hour or until cooked through.
3. Remove from the oven, lift the chicken from the pan and rest, skin-side up, in a warm place for 20 minutes. Tip out any excess oil, then return the pan to the hob over a medium heat and add the butter. Season the tomatoes, add to the foaming butter and fry for 5 minutes – don’t let the butter burn. Add the cream and bring to a gentle simmer, then transfer to the oven for 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, toast the bread until crisp and golden, then rub each slice with the cut side of the garlic clove; cut into soldiers and keep warm. Remove the tomatoes from the oven. Separate the legs from the chicken, cutting them into thighs and drumsticks. Halve each breast.
5. Arrange the chicken joints and tomatoes on a serving platter. Whisk the mustard and tarragon into the cream (if the sauce is too thick, add a little hot water). Season, then pour the sauce over the chicken and tomatoes. Serve with the toast.
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose Food, March 2018 issue. Download the Waitrose Food app for the full issue
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Thu Feb 22 12:38:34 GMT 2018.