Save to your scrapbook
Smoked fish pie with crispy potato & cauliflower topping
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Serves: 4 - 6
FOR THE TOPPING
900g floury potatoes, such as Maris Piper or King Edward, peeled and cut into large cubes
1 cauliflower cut into florets
100g mature Cheddar, grated
FOR THE FILLING
450g fresh white fish, such as haddock, cod or coley, skinned
250g smoked haddock fillet, skinned
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp flour
300ml hot vegetable stock
3 tbsp crème fraîche
180g pack raw jumbo king prawns
25g pack fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
3 medium Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Eggs, hard boiled, shelled and quartered
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC, gas mark 6. For the topping, bring a pan of water to the boil and add the potatoes. Simmer for 15 minutes until tender, then add the cauliflower and simmer for 8 more minutes until the potatoes and cauliflower are very tender.
2. Drain and return to the pan, and heat for a few minutes to dry out the potatoes and cauliflower. Add the milk and butter, and mash together. Add the cheese and mix well.
3. Meanwhile cut the fish into large chunks and set aside.
4. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and cook the onion for about 5 minutes until softened, then stir in the flour and cook for a minute.
5. Slowly add the hot vegetable stock stirring continuously until you have a smooth sauce. Add the crème fraîche and stir, add the fish, prawns and parsley, then season.
6. Spoon the fish filling into a 1.5-litre ovenproof dish and arrange the eggs on top. Spoon on the mash and rough up the top with a fork. Bake for 30 minutes until the top is golden, the filling is bubbling and the fish is cooked through.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Thu Apr 28 09:43:00 BST 2016.