Save to your scrapbook
Spiced Stewed Chickpeas with Garlic Yogurt and Pita
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
1 tbsp olive oil
1 Waitrose Essential red onion, roughly chopped
1 (400g) can Waitrose Essential chopped tomatoes
1 (400g) can Waitrose Essential cooked chickpeas
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp smoked paprika
4 tbsp Waitrose Essential Greek yogurt
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 Waitrose Essential wholemeal pita breads, toasted
handful of fresh coriander or parsley, roughly chopped
1. Heat the olive oil in a medium pot over a medium heat. Once hot, add the chopped onion and a pinch of salt. Cook over a medium heat, stirring often, until softened – about 10 minutes.
2. Add the can of chopped tomatoes, the can of cooked chickpeas (including the water from the can), balsamic vinegar, sugar and smoked paprika. Stir together and leaveto cook over a medium heat until it starts to bubble. Now turn the heat down to low and leave to simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until very thick. Taste and add more salt if needed.
3. To poach the eggs: half-fill a medium pot with boiling water over a high heat. Once the water starts to boil, turn the heat down so the water is just gently simmering. Crack one of the eggs into a mug and gently lower it into the pot of water. Repeat with the other egg. Leave to cook for 3 minutes until the white is set and the yolk is still liquid. Remove from the water with a slotted spoon and drain on a piece of kitchen towel.
4. In a small bowl, mix the yogurt, garlic and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
5. Divide the chickpea mixture between two bowls, top with an egg on each and some of the garlic yogurt. Sprinkle with coriander or parsley if using and serve hot with the toasted pita breads.
While all Waitrose recipes are tested extensively, we do not test any of the community recipes, so cannot verify the results or answer queries concerning them.