Save to your scrapbook
Haggis bon bons with whisky sauce
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
50g plain flour
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 large essential Waitrose British Free Range Egg, lightly beaten
100g panko breadcrumbs
5 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tsp wholegrain mustard
1-2 tbsp whisky
Vegetable oil for deep frying
1. Remove the outer casing from the haggis, break up into 24 pieces and roll each piece into a small ball.
2. Place the flour and paprika in a shallow bowl, the egg in another shallow bowl and finally the breadcrumbs in a third bowl. Roll the haggis balls in the paprika flour, then in the beaten egg and finally in the breadcrumbs until evenly coated. Transfer to a baking tray and chill for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, stir together the mayonnaise, wholegrain mustard and whisky. Spoon into a serving bowl and set aside.
4. Pour vegetable oil into a medium saucepan to a depth of about 6cm. Heat until it reaches 170ºC or drop a small piece of bread in the oil – when it turns brown in about 30 seconds, the oil is ready.
5. Using a metal slotted spoon, lower the haggis bon bons, a few at a time, into the oil and cook for 2-3 minutes until golden and crispy. Drain on kitchen paper and keep warm in a low oven while you finish cooking the remainder.
This recipe also works well using vegetarian haggis.
Typical values per serving:
per bon bon
This recipe was first published in Wed Dec 21 12:05:38 GMT 2016.