Save to your scrapbook
Martha Collison's salted caramel popcorn cupcakes
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Everyone’s favourite things all in one cupcake! Crunchy popcorn and a rich, salted caramel icing make these irresistible
125g butter, softened
200g light brown soft sugar
2 large Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Eggs
2 tbsp golden syrup
225g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
20g Heston from Waitrose Salted Caramel Popcorn or Butterkist Toffee Popcorn
FOR THE ICING
200g dark brown soft sugar
80ml double cream
250g icing sugar, sieved
Pinch of sea salt
Remaining popcorn, to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4, and line two 8-hole muffin tins with 16 muffin cases. Use an electric whisk to cream together the butter and brown sugar until pale and fluffy (for about 4-5 minutes). Beat in the eggs, one at a time, followed by the golden syrup.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Add this gradually into the butter and egg mixture until a thick batter forms. Finally, stir in the milk and popcorn.
3. Divide the mixture between the muffin cases and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the cakes are risen, golden and a skewer inserted comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before decorating.
4. To make the icing, melt the butter in a small saucepan. Once melted, stir in the brown sugar and double cream and simmer over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until smooth and bubbling. Remove from the heat and sieve over the icing sugar. Beat the sugar and salt in using a wooden spoon until the icing is thick and holds its shape.
5. Spoon a dollop of icing onto the top of each cupcake and use a palette knife to spread it out to the edges. Top each cake with a few pieces of popcorn to finish. These cupcakes will keep for 3-4 days in the fridge.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Thu Aug 18 16:00:00 BST 2016.