Save to your scrapbook
Mini merguez sausage rolls recipe | Waitrose
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
This recipe makes plenty so you can freeze some too. Place, unbaked, on a tray and freeze until firm before packing in freezer bags. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake from frozen
500g pack essential Waitrose British Minced Lamb
1 small red onion, finely chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp dried chilli flakes
1 tsp fennel seeds, plus
1 tsp for sprinkling
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
500g pack puff pastry
1 large Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Egg, beaten, to glaze
Sea salt flakes, to sprinkle
1. Put the lamb in a bowl with the onion, cumin, coriander, chilli, fennel and garlic. Mix well.
2. Line 2 large baking sheets with baking parchment. Roll out the pastry thinly on a lightly floured surface to a 40cm square. Cut into 4 even-sized strips and brush the long edges lightly with beaten egg.
3. Divide the lamb mixture into quarters. Take one quarter and pinch it out between your fingers to a 40cm length. Position along the centre of one strip and do the same with the remaining lamb mixture. Bring the pastry up over the filling, pressing the edges firmly together. Use a floured fork to further seal the edges together. Cut each length into 10 and space slightly apart on baking sheets.
4. Brush with beaten egg and make a snip in the top of each with kitchen scissors. Sprinkle with extra fennel seeds and sea salt flakes and cover loosely with clingfilm. Chill until ready to cook.
5. To bake, preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5 and bake the sausage rolls for 35-40 minutes, swapping the trays over towards the end of cooking, until puffed and golden. Serve warm.
This recipe was first published in Thu Nov 10 10:15:00 GMT 2016.