Save to your scrapbook
Slow cooked shin of beef with porcini mushrooms
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
30g tub Cooks’ Ingredients Porcini Mushrooms
2 tbsp olive oil
800g Waitrose Aberdeen Angus British Bone in Beef Shin, cut into chunks, keeping the bones
500g Waitrose Aberdeen Angus British Feather Steak, in chunks
1 onion, peeled and finely diced
3 sticks celery, finely diced
3 carrots, peeled and finely diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp plain flour
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
250ml red wine
250ml beef stock
1 tbsp light brown sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C, gas mark 2. Soak the porcini mushrooms in 150ml boiling water.
2. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large sauté pan. Season the meat and bones and brown in the pan in batches and set aside. Add the remaining oil to the pan and gently fry the onions, celery and carrots for 4-5 minutes until soft and golden, add the garlic and continue to fry for a further minute.
3. Return the meat and its juices to the pan, add the flour and stir to coat, add the tomatoes, red wine, stock and sugar followed by the porcini and the soaking water.
4. Cover with a lid, bring to the boil and place in the preheated oven to cook slowly for 4 hours or until the meat is falling apart.
5. Serve with greens and mash.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Thu Mar 12 12:18:33 GMT 2015.