We're ahead of the field in organic
We stock more than 1600 organic products - one of the widest selections in the UK. By choosing Waitrose organics you can be assured that the products not only taste fantastic but have been responsibly sourced.
A wide choice of organic food is available from Waitrose ranging from meat and dairy products and fruit and vegetables to everyday groceries like breakfast cereals, tea and coffee. So whether you want to embrace a totally organic lifestyle, or simply want to try a few selected items, there is now an organic option for many food and drink items.
Our range of organic meat is ever-increasing and includes chicken, beef, pork and lamb as well as a wide range of meat products such as bacon, sausages and burgers. Animals are reared without the use of routine drugs, antibiotics and growth promoters and with high consideration for animal welfare. The end result is that the meat produced from organic farms for Waitrose has the very best flavour.
- Beef: Waitrose organic British beef comes from a variety of native and continental breeds, reared only on Waitrose-approved British farms. As well as working to our usual strict standards of quality, welfare and food safety, the farmers comply with regulations laid down in the Compendium of United Kingdom Organic Standards, which include feeding the cattle an organic diet
- Chicken: Waitrose demand high standards from their organic chicken farmers that go beyond those set by the EU. The chickens are reared on a healthy diet of organic feed that must not contain any antibiotics or medicines and they have plenty of space to roam
- Pork: Our organic pork is tasty and lean and has a superb flavour. It comes from a select group of farms based in East Anglia and south west England where the pigs are born outdoors and allowed to roam and root freely in the fresh air. This freedom of movement, combined with the highest standards of animal welfare and an organic diet ensures the meat has a naturally mature flavour and fine texture
- Lamb: Waitrose stocks organic Welsh and New Zealand lamb. Our organic Welsh lamb comes from the rich grass farmlands of Wales and is deliciously tender and succulent. Reared on the open pasturelands of New Zealand, our organic New Zealand lamb is matured on the bone for extra tenderness, which makes it a really superior choice
Organic agriculture places emphasis on soil health and techniques such as rotating crops and using manures. In farming this means using methods that conserve and enrich the soil minimising pollution, encouraging wildlife or using up too many of the world's resources. Organically grown fruit and vegetables support more farmland wildlife and taste great too. Many of the fruit and vegetables supplied to Waitrose come from long established family-run farms that are committed to producing the very best-tasting produce whilst maintaining high standards of environmental care. Today an increasing number of shoppers are beginning to look for food that has been produced sustainably and in balance with the environment. At Waitrose we recognise that the way food is grown contributes to its quality.
A wide range of flavoursome fresh organic fruit and vegetables are available from Waitrose – from apples and pears to dates and melons and celery and parsnips to potatoes and tomatoes
A choice of dried, frozen and canned organic fruit and vegetables are also available from Waitrose including organic dates, sultanas and apricots, frozen corn on the cob, broccoli, green beans and canned tomatoes, baked beans and peaches and pineapple
Waitrose stock a wide range of organic dairy products including milk, cheeses, butter, yogurt and cream, many of which come from small producers who have a wealth of experience and are passionate about the food they supply. The organic milk used to produce our dairy products comes from animals fed on natural pastures, free from chemical fertilisers or pesticides.
- Milk: Waitrose fresh organic milk is produced by a small group of specially chosen farms in Somerset and Dorset, from herds fed on clover-rich pasture that is free from artificial pesticides or fertilisers. It is the best of British milk and guaranteed to be as wholesome and natural as possible
- Cheese: A variety of organic cheeses are sold at Waitrose including Cornish Organic Brie, Pant-Ysgawn Organic Welsh White Goats Cheese and a selection of organic Cheddars
- Other dairy products: Choose from a selection of organic natural or fruit yogurts, cream, fromage frais and crème fraîche at Waitrose
As part of our commitment to offering an organic alternative to all mainstream products the Waitrose organics range is ever expanding. We offer a wide choice of organic storecupboard products, check out our Core products list for our full range.
- Bread: We have combined the skills of our organic farmers, millers and bakers to produce a unique range of fresh organic breads with a distinctive flavour and texture. The loaves are certified by the Soil Association and are full of flavour, each with a wonderful texture and crust. Other organic favourites are Duchy Original Brown, Duchy Original Sunflower Seed & Honey, and Mixed Seed loaves; while the Village Bakery's Russian Rye and Pain de Campagne also make a delicious change. Waitrose White and Stoneground tin loaves are also made with organic flour, so there is an organic bread to suit all tastes
- Baking: From organic flour to dried fruits, eggs and sugar the choice of organic ingredients at Waitrose means home baking with organic ingredients has never been easier
- Grocery: A vast selection of essential everyday organic items are available including coffee and tea, breakfast cereals, fruit juices, sweet and savoury biscuits, vinegar and oil, baby foods and canned products
By choosing to buy delicious Duchy from Waitrose quality organic food and drink you are helping to support British charities.
What is organic food?
Organic produce is cultivated using a system of crop rotation (a method that helps to keep the soil healthy), without the use of most artificial pesticides and fertilisers. Organic agriculture aims to be sustainable and to maintain land in a healthy, fertile state for future generations.
Why should I buy organic food?
An increasing number of shoppers are beginning to look for food that has been produced to an organic standard and in balance with the environment. Waitrose aims to give our customers a choice of organic or conventional produce. Customers can choose either option at Waitrose.
Is organic food better for me?
The Food Standards Agency, a Government department set up to protect consumer interests in relation to food, does not consider that there is a significant difference between organic and non-organic foods.
Why is organic food more expensive?
Organic food is not always more expensive but organic farmers generally charge more for their produce because many organic farming practices take a bit longer and produce lower yields; it is more labour-intensive than conventional agriculture; fields have to be taken out of food production while they go through three years of organic conversion or for fertility building.
How is organic food regulated?
All food labelled as organic must be certified by a government-approved certification body. The producer must hold a licence issued by one of these bodies. These certification bodies include the Soil Association and Organic Farmers and Growers. The certification bodies follow regulations set down by the EU which are implemented in the UK by DEFRA (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs).
Does organic farming care for the welfare of animals?
Animal welfare standards are an integral part of organic food regulations. High standards of animal welfare and consideration for local wildlife are a priority for our farmers. Animals are kept in ways that minimise the need for medicines and other chemical treatments. Organic animals cannot routinely be fed antibiotics as growth promoters. Conventional medicines can be used if an animal is acutely ill.