Save to your scrapbook
LOVE life Coq au vin
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
4 free-range chicken legs
3 tbsp plain flour
1 tsp light olive oil
3 rashers back bacon, fat removed, cut into strips
1 large onion, cubed
2 large carrots, chopped
2 sticks celery, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
250g pack Waitrose chestnut mushrooms, halved
300ml white wine
2 fresh bay leaves
500ml Cooks’ Ingredients chicken stock
1 x ½ savoy cabbage, shredded and steamed, to serve
1. Cut each chicken leg in half to give you one thigh and one drumstick. Remove the skin and any visible fat. Place the flour in a large freezer bag, add the chicken and shake well.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the chicken pieces in batches and fry for 10 minutes or so, until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and place in a large casserole dish. Preheat the oven to 180ºC, gas mark 4.
3. Add the bacon, onion, carrots and celery to the frying pan and cook, stirring frequently, over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned.
4. Add the garlic and mushrooms, and fry for another 2-3 minutes. Transfer to the casserole dish with the chicken pieces.
5. Add the wine to the frying pan and stir to scrape any little bits off the bottom. Pour into the casserole dish and add the bay leaves and stock.
6. Bring to the boil, then cover with a lid and transfer to the oven. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and then bake for another 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
7. Serve with the steamed cabbage.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in February 2013.