Save to your scrapbook
Gluten-free sausage rolls
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
For the pastry:
250g Gluten-free white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tsp xanthan gum
190g unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1cm dice
140ml cold water
400g pack gluten-free sausages, skins removed
Beaten egg, for glazing
1. Put the flour and xanthan gum in a large bowl. Add a third of the butter and rub it into the flour with your fingertips to create a rough breadcrumb texture. Add enough water to form a soft dough, then turn out onto a floured sheet of cling film and roll into an oblong about 30cm x 20cm in size.
2. Dot the remaining butter over the bottom two-thirds of the pastry sheet. Fold the top third down over the butter, then fold the bottom of the pastry up to completely enclose the butter in an envelope of pastry. Press down the edges to seal.
3. Turn the dough 90 degrees then roll out into a 10 x 30cm rectangle. Again, fold the top third down and the bottom third up once more, as if creating an envelope, then press down the edges. Chill for about 20 minutes then repeat this process twice more. Chill for 30 minutes or more before using.
4. Preheat the oven to 200C, gas mark 6, and line 2 baking trays with baking parchment. On a floured surface, roll the pastry out into a large rectangle about 30cm x 40cm, trim off any ragged edges, then cut down the middle horizontally into two long rectangles.
5. Roll the sausages in your hands to elongate a little, then place down the middle of each pastry rectangle. Brush a line of beaten egg along one edge of the pastry, then roll the pastry over the sausagemeat onto the egg-washed edge, tucking it under to seal. Press down and trim off any ragged ends.
6. Cut each pastry roll into 6 individual sausage rolls. With a sharp knife, score lines across the top of each roll, then brush with egg wash. Place the sausage rolls onto the lined baking trays and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until crisp and golden, and the sausagemeat is completely cooked throu
This recipe was first published in Tue Nov 08 10:02:18 GMT 2016.