Save to your scrapbook
Goat's cheese, apple & beetroot salad
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
60g fresh breadcrumbs
6g caraway seeds
2 medium Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Eggs
2 x 100g Waitrose Chèvre Blanc cheese
Oil to shallow fry
2 cooked and peeled beetroot, roughly sliced into quarters
1 eating apple, such as Braeburn, cored and sliced roughly into thin slices
1 tbsp cider vinegar
2 tbsp rapeseed oil
Small handful pea shoots
40g walnuts, roughly chopped
1. Tip the breadcrumbs into a bowl and stir in the caraway seeds. Then sift the flour into a second bowl. Finally crack the eggs into a third bowl and beat them.
2. Unwrap the cheese and, taking one at a time, drop it into the flour, then into the eggs and finally into the breadcrumbs. Dip the cheese into the egg for a second dunk and then finish with a second coating of crumbs. Then repeat with the second cheese.
3. Pour about ½ cm depth of oil into a small frying pan over a medium-high heat. When hot, carefully lay the crumbed cheeses into the oil and cook for about 3 minutes each side, or until the crumbs are nicely browned and crisp. Tip the pan a little to help pool the oil and fry the sides of the cheese.
4. Remove the fried cheese and place on a piece of clean kitchen roll to drain any excess oil.
5. Quickly toss together the cut beetroot, apple, cider vinegar and rapeseed oil, and divide between 2 plates. Top each with a few pea shoots and chopped walnuts, then add the cheese and drizzle with the dressing.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Thu Apr 14 09:41:00 BST 2016.