Save to your scrapbook
Pomegranate, feta & spinach pizza
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Serves: 4 (makes 2 pizzas)
FOR THE BASE
7g dried yeast
1 tsp caster sugar
350g Waitrose Super Fine ‘00’ Grade Pasta Flour
1 tsp salt
25ml olive oil
FOR THE TOPPING
200g baby spinach
6 tbsp Waitrose Passata With Chopped Basil
75g pomegranate seeds
100g essential Waitrose Greek Feta cheese, crumbled
1. Measure out 180ml tepid water and empty half of it (90ml) into a small bowl. Sprinkle over the yeast and caster sugar. Stir to blend then set aside for 5-10 minutes until the surface is a little foamy. This proves the yeast is active.
2. Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour in the yeast mixture, the oil and remaining tepid water. Mix well with a wooden spoon, adding a little more flour if the dough is too wet, or a touch more water if it’s too dry.
3. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes until soft and elastic. Return the dough to a clean, oiled bowl and cover with a damp tea towel or oiled clingfilm. Leave at room temperature to prove for about 1½ hours, or until it has doubled in size. Divide into two balls of equal size and cover with a damp tea towel or oiled clingfilm.
4. Preheat the oven to 220°C, gas mark 7. Place 2 baking sheets in the oven to get them really hot – this helps to create a crisp base.
5. Prepare the topping. Boil a full kettle of water and place the spinach in a large sieve or colander. Pour over the water to wilt the spinach, then use the back of a spoon to squeeze out as much liquid from it as possible. Transfer the spinach to a wooden board and roughly chop. Set aside to cool.
6. Meanwhile, knock back the dough by kneading each ball for a minute or so. With a well-floured rolling pin, roll out each ball of dough as thinly as possible to create a circle measuring 25-30cm. Remove the baking sheets from the oven and dust them with flour before carefully transferring the dough bases onto them. Spread over the passata, followed by the chopped spinach. Sprinkle over the pomegranate seeds and feta and cook for 12-15 minutes, depending on your oven, swapping the trays over halfway through cooking. Season with cracked black pepper and serve immediately.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Wed Aug 26 14:26:00 BST 2015.