Save to your scrapbook
Steak and carrot pie
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
1 tbsp olive oil
2 x 340g packs essential
Waitrose British Beef Frying Steak, cut into 3cm dice
1 onion, diced
2 large carrots, diced
200g pack button mushrooms
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tbsp plain flour
400ml beef stock
2–3 tbsp Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
320g Jus-Rol Light Puff Pastry Sheet
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC, gas mark 6. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the steak. Cook for 3–5 minutes, turning occasionally, until browned all over. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Add the onion, carrots and mushrooms to the pan. Cook over a medium heat for 8–10 minutes, stirring often, until softened. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
3. Stir in the flour, then gradually add the stock and Worcestershire sauce, mixing well. Season and bring to a simmer, return the steak to the pan, then cook gently for 5 minutes.
4. Lay the pastry sheet on a clean work surface and place 6 x 250ml pie dishes upside down on top of it. Cut around each one to make a pastry lid for each pie (you can roll the pastry a little larger if you need to).
5. Divide the steak mixture between the pie dishes and top each one with a pastry lid, crimping the edges to seal. Make a small hole in the top of each pie, place on a baking tray and bake for 20–25 minutes, until the pastry is risen and golden. Serve with green vegetables.
To get ahead, try making these pies in foil trays, wrap them in clingfilm and freeze. To cook, remove the clingfilm and bake from frozen, ensuring the filling is piping hot before serving.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Tue Dec 24 10:25:00 GMT 2013.