Save to your scrapbook
Sticky maple pecan buns
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
To give these buns that soft, brioche-like texture, the dough is enriched with milk and butter. If you don’t have a freestanding mixer, you can melt the butter into the milk and add to the dough, kneading by hand for 8-10 minutes.
175ml whole milk
500g strong white bread flour
50g light brown soft sugar
7g sachet easy bake yeast
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp fine salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
100g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra to grease
100g pecans, toasted and roughly chopped
MAPLE CARAMEL GLAZE
100g unsalted butter
150g dark brown soft sugar
200ml double cream
100ml maple syrup
1 tsp fine salt
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
100g unsalted butter, softened
50g dark brown soft sugar
50g maple syrup
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
grating fresh nutmeg
pinch flaky sea salt
1. Warm the milk on the hob. Mix the fl our, sugar, yeast, cinnamon and salt in a freestanding mixer fi tted with a dough hook. Make a well in the centre; pour in the eggs and milk. Mix on slow until you have a rough dough, then turn to a medium speed and bring together to a dough. With the mixer on medium, add the butter, a knob at a time, only adding more once the last piece has been incorporated. When all the butter has been added, knead for a further 4 minutes. Set the dough aside to prove in the bowl, covered with cling fi lm, for 1 hour 30 minutes, until doubled in size.
2. Meanwhile, grease a 25cm x 35cm deep baking dish. To make the glaze, melt the butter, then stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 3-4 minutes. Pour ½ into the tin and spread out evenly.
3. When the dough has nearly doubled in size, beat all the fi lling ingredients together with a whisk.
4. On a lightly fl oured surface, roll the dough out to 35cm x 40cm; trim the edges. Spread over the filling and sprinkle with ½ the pecans. Starting from the long edge, roll up into a tight log. Trim the ends and slice into 15 rolls (cut it into 3 pieces, then cut each into 5). Place in the tin, cut-side-up, in 3 rows of 5 buns. Cover with cling fi lm and leave to rise for 45-50 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 180˚C, gas mark 4. Remove the cling fi lm and bake for 30 minutes. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then flip onto a wire rack; you may need to give the tin a tap, before easing the buns from the caramel. Flip the buns over and warm the remaining glaze; brush or drizzle over the top, before sprinkling with the remaining pecans. Serve warm or at room temperature.
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose Food magazine. myWaitrose members can download the Waitrose Food app edition for FREE. Find out more.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Thu Oct 01 16:58:24 BST 2015.