Waitrose Cricket Cook Off – SWALEC: Panzanella salad with grilled goat’s cheese
The Waitrose Cricket Cook Off will crown a winner from ten rival chefs from cricket grounds around the country, voted for by our customers. John Chapman - Executive Head Chef at The SWALEC Stadium in Cardiff - shows you how to make his entry, Panzanella salad with grilled goat’s cheese. This is a great vegetarian dish but you could try it with fish instead of cheese.
Recipe - Serves: 8
2 packs Waitrose 2 Sweet Peppers
1 garlic bulb
2-3 tbsp olive oil
2 courgettes, sliced diagonally
250g pack cherry tomatoes, halved
1 tbsp capers, rinsed
100g pitted black olives, halved
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
Ciabatta croutons (see tip)
2 x 100g packs essential
Waitrose English Goat’s Cheese, each sliced into 4
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC, gas mark 6. Brush the peppers and garlic with 1 tbsp oil then roast for 10 minutes. Take out the garlic and continue to cook the peppers for a further 15 minutes until tender, then place in a plastic food bag. When cool, remove the skin and discard with the core and seeds. Slice the flesh and place in a large bowl. Peel and slice the garlic cloves and add to the bowl.
2. Preheat a ridged non-stick griddle pan. Cook the courgettes on each side for 3-4 minutes until tender then add to the bowl. (You may need to do this in batches.)
3. Stir in the tomatoes, capers, olives, vinegar and 1-2 tbsp oil. Cover with clingfilm and set aside to allow the flavours to infuse.
4. Add the croutons to the salad 20 minutes before serving to soak up the juices.
5. Preheat the grill to hot. Place the cheese slices on a baking tray, drizzle with a little oil and grill for 1-2 minutes until just melting. Place the salad on 8 starter plates, top with the cheese and serve.
To make the ciabatta croutons, preheat the oven to 140ºC, gas mark 1. Cut a ciabatta loaf into 2.5cm cubes and toss in 2 tbsp olive oil. Spread out on a baking sheet and cook for 50 minutes until lightly browned. Leave to cool and store in an airtight container.
Typical values per serving:
3.8g fibre, 12g protein