Get Baking with Paul Hollywood - Potato & thyme focaccia
Paul Hollywood shows his students how to make his take on focaccia by adding potato and thyme.
Recipe - Makes: 1 loaf
500g strong white bread flour
2 tsp salt
4 tsp instant yeast
2 tbsp olive oil
300ml cool water
6 new potatoes – thinly sliced 170g
3 sprigs of thyme
1 tsp sea salt
Extra olive oil for kneading and brushing over the bread
1. Tip the flour into a large mixing bowl and add the salt to one side of the bowl and the yeast to the other. Add the oil and 240ml of the water. Use the fingers of one hand to mix the ingredients together. Add the remaining water a little at a time until you have a soft, sticky dough and all the flour is incorporated. You may not need all the water.
2. Oil a clean work surface. Tip the dough onto the oil and knead the dough. Continue kneading for 5-10 minutes.
3. Put the dough into a lightly oiled bowl. Cover until the dough has doubled in size. This will take between 1-3 hours.
4. Line a baking tray with parchment. Tip the dough onto the baking tray and flatten with your hands into a flat, even rectangle approx. 35-25cm. Brush with olive oil. Using your fingers make indentations over the surface. Layer the potatoes over the top and scatter over the thyme leaves cover with cling film. Leave to rise for 1 hour.
5. Pre heat the oven to 230C, gas mark 8. Just before baking sprinkle over the salt. Bake for 20-30 minutes until the bread is golden brown. Remove from the oven and brush with more olive oil. Cool on a wire rack.
© Copyright Paul Hollywood