Save to your scrapbook
LOVE life Vegetable biriyani
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
400g essential Waitrose frozen chunky vegetable mix
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp Bart Veeraswamy medium Moglai curry paste
200g Waitrose basmati rice
400g can essential Waitrose chopped tomatoes
500ml Cooks’ Ingredients vegetable stock
100g pack Waitrose LOVE life roasted cashew nuts
2 tbsp raisins
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
1. Plunge the vegetables into a saucepan of boiling water and return to the boil for 2 minutes. Drain, then cut any large vegetables in half.
2. Heat the oil in a large casserole dish and fry the vegetables for 3 minutes until browned.
3. Stir in the curry paste and rice, and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil.
4. Cover the pan and simmer very gently for 20 minutes, until the rice is tender and all the liquid has absorbed.
5. Stir through the cashew nuts and serve scattered with the raisins and coriander.
A biriyani can be made entirely using store cupboard ingredients, making it a great supper to turn to when the fridge is empty. Other staples work really well here, too. Try adding some red lentils with the rice or use canned beans and vegetables such as essential Waitrose green beans or petits pois with baby carrots.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Wed Feb 20 11:10:31 GMT 2013.