Vietnamese chicken and sweet potato curry
This warming curry is on the table in less than 30 minutes.
Recipe - Serves: 4
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 2 onions, peeled, halved and sliced
- 1 red chilli, halved, deseeded and cut into fine shreds
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- ½ tbsp ground turmeric
- 400ml can Cooks' Ingredients Organic Coconut Milk
- 1 ½ tbsp light brown muscovado sugar
- 600 g sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 8 essential Waitrose Chicken Thigh Fillets, about 700g
- Handful of fresh basil leaves, torn
- Heat the oil in a wok or deep frying pan and cook the onions over a medium heat until coloured, about 3-4 minutes. Add the chilli and ground spices then cook for another minute, stirring a little. Add the coconut milk, sugar and sweet potato. Bring to just under the boil then turn down the heat to medium and cook, covered, until the sweet potato is just becoming tender.
- Cut the chicken into chunks and add to the stew. Cover and cook for another 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and there is no pink meat, and the sweet potato is completely soft. To thicken the stew, press some of the sweet potato with the back of a wooden spoon until it disintegrates. Check the seasoning and stir in the basil leaves. Serve with boiled rice.
Typical values per serving: