A taste of Leckford Estate: apples
Silvana Franco visits Leckford, the Waitrose farm, to cook a delicious recipe with the apples grown there.
Recipe - Serves: 4
- 500ml bottle Waitrose Leckford Farm Cox’s Apple Vintage Cider
- 8 essential Waitrose British Chicken Thigh Fillets
- 2 tsp Bart Ground Allspice
- 40g butter
- 2 Cox’s apples, cored and cut into wedges
- 250g pack essential Waitrose Mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 15g pack fresh tarragon, finely shredded
- 4 tbsp double cream
- Place the cider in a saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer until reduced by half.
- Rub the chicken thighs on both sides with the allspice and a little salt.
- Melt half the butter in a large, deep-sided frying pan or sauté pan with lid, and fry the apple wedges and mushrooms until golden. Drain with a slotted spoon and place on a plate. Keep warm.
- Melt the remaining butter in the pan and fry the chicken pieces, in batches if necessary, until lightly browned. Pour in the reduced cider and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and cook gently covered for 20–25 minutes, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Return the apples and mushrooms to the pan with the tarragon and cream. Season to taste and heat gently for 5 minutes, before serving with piping hot mashed potato.
Typical values per serving: