Save to your scrapbook
Buckwheat blinis with soured cream & caviar
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Makes: 6 large blinis
For the blinis
1 tsp dried yeast
90g buckwheat flour
50g strong white bread flour
½ tsp salt
2 British Blacktail Large Free Range Eggs
100g soured cream
25g unsalted butter
1 tbsp oil
For the topping
50g jar salmon caviar, to serve
Soured cream, to serve
Dill, to serve
1. Heat the milk in a small pan over a medium heat until it is warm but not boiling. Take it off the heat and stir in the yeast. Set aside for about 15 minutes to froth. Put the flours and salt in a large bowl and separate the eggs.
2. Add the egg yolks and soured cream to the yeast mixture, then gradually pour this into the bowl of flour, stirring as you do so. When you have a smooth paste, cover and leave in a warm place for 1 hour, or until it looks spongy.
3. Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks, then gently fold them into the mixture using a large metal spoon. Cover and set aside for 1 hour.
4. When ready to cook, melt some butter and oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat, then add the batter using a ladle. Work in batches to cook 6 pancakes. Cook until they bubble on top, then flip them over and cook for 1-2 minutes on the other side, until golden.
5. Spoon the soured cream and salmon caviar – or any toppings opposite – onto the warm blinis. Add a few sprigs of dill and serve.
Typical values per serving:
per blini (as pictured)
This recipe was first published in Tue Dec 01 10:32:00 GMT 2020.