Save to your scrapbook
Bun cha salad
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
2 tbsp Sunflower oil
1 Onion thinly sliced
3tbsp Toasted sesame oil
240g Vegan Inspired Veggie Balls, broken into chunks
4tbsp Hoisin sauce
300g Rice vermicelli noodles
3tbsp Peanuts, roasted and crushed
1 Large red chili, sliced
3tbsp Crispy onions
1 Lime, cut into wedges
For the salad:
1 Carrot, peeled and sliced very thinly
1/3 Cucumber , sliced very thinly
1 Baby gem lettuce, washed and leaves sliced thin
2 large Spring onions, sliced very thin
4 sprigs of Mint, leaves picked
6 sprigs of Coriander, leavespicked
For the dressing:
3tbsp Brown sugar
3tbsp Light soy sauce
1tbsp Rice vinegar
1tbsp Toasted sesame oil
1 stick of lemongrass, outer leaves peeled and finely chopped
Rice paper garnish :
2 Rice paper sheets
60ml Vegetable oil
1. Place a frying pan over a medium heat and add the sunflower oil and onion. Season lightly with salt and cook gently until soft and golden.
2. Remove from the pan and place to one side. Now place the sesame oil into the pan and once hot, fry the veggie balls until crisp and golden around the edges.
3. Now add the hoisin sauce and cook until it reduces and coats the veggie balls in a glaze. Tip in the sesame seeds and onion and stir to combine
4. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside. Split the salad ingredients between your serving bowls arranging them attractively. Next add the noodles to the bowls.
5. Make the dressing by mixing the sugar with 50ml of boiling water in a small mixing bowl. Now add the rest of the dressing ingredients.
6. Finally heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan and once hot add the rice paper.Cook until the paper is puffed up and crisp. Remove form the pan and lay on a sheet of kitchen paper to cool. Sprinkle a pinch of salt over the rice paper sheets.
7. Now you are ready to bring everything together, add the veggie ball mixture to the bowls and pour over the dressing. Garnish the dish with the peanuts, red chilli and crispy onions. Squeeze over the lime juice and serve.
This recipe was first published in January 2019.
Average user rating