Save to your scrapbook
Aimee Twigger's chocolate and fig cake
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
While all Waitrose recipes are tested extensively, we do not test any of the community recipes, so cannot verify the results or answer queries concerning them.
Serves: 10 - 12
4oz 100g dark chocolate
7 tbsp butter
1/4 cup 65ml milk
3/4 cup 85g self raising flour
1/2 cup 110g caster sugar
1/4 cup 75g soft brown sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
3 tbsp buttermilk
400ml double cream
100g light brown sugar
2 tbsp. dark muscovado sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1. Preheat the oven to 160c
2. Grease and line a deep round tin or two sandwich tins approx. 15 cm
3. Break up the chocolate and add in a pan with the butter and milk and a pinch of salt. Place over a low heat until the chocolate and butter has melted then set it aside to cool.
4. In a bowl add the flour, sugars and cocoa powder and mix together then add the eggs and mix in one at a time, beat the buttermilk into the chocolate mixture then pour into the flour mixture and fold together.
5. Pour into three lined baking tins. bake for about 25 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Once cooked, although to cool for frsoting.
6. Mix 50 ml of the cream with sugar and stir into a paste, add the rest of the cream into a mixing bowl and start mixing the cream, then add the sugar mixture and mix unto it just mixes stiff peaks
7. Slice 6 figs and start assembling the cake, take one layer of sponge onto a cake plate and add some of the cream, then add some of the fig sliced and add another layer of sponge, continue the same process again and add the top layer and add the last of the cream, and decorate with some figs, and some cacoa nibs.