Save to your scrapbook
Carrot & feta cakes with sweetcorn relish
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
3 large Waitrose British Blacktail Eggs, separated
150g self-raising flour
1½ tsp baking powder
300g carrots, coarsely grated
200g feta, crumbled
2 tbsp currants
2 pinches of dried chilli (optional)
2-3 tbsp vegetable oil and a knob of butter, for frying
250g Greek yogurt, to serve
FOR THE RELISH
2 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 sweetcorn cobs, kernels removed, or 250g frozen corn
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
100ml cider vinegar
75g caster sugar
1 tsp mustard powder
2 tbsp finely chopped chives
1. To make the sweetcorn relish, heat the olive oil in a pan, add the chopped shallot and soften for 3-4 minutes. Add the remaining relish ingredients, apart from the chives. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 7-8 minutes, stirring, until about 2 tablespoons of liquid remain. Stir in a pinch of salt. Leave to cool.
2. Whisk the milk and egg yolks in a large bowl. Whisk in the flour and baking powder. Stir in the carrot, feta, currants, chilli and a few pinches of salt.
3. In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks, then fold into the cake mixture.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil and the butter in a large frying pan. Add 4-5 heaped dessertspoons of the mixture. Cook for 2-3 minutes each side, until golden. Keep the cooked cakes warm in a low oven while you cook the remaining batches – the mixture is enough to make about 20 cakes.
5. Stir the chives into the relish. Put the cakes on a platter. To serve, spoon the yogurt and relish over the top and eat straight away.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Thu May 18 10:21:00 BST 2017.
Average user rating