Save to your scrapbook
Cherry & rose meringues
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
150g caster sugar
3 British Blacktail Medium Free Range Eggs, whites only
1 tsp cornflour
1 tsp lemon juice
2-3 drops rose water
2-3 drops Essential Natural Red Food Colouring
150ml whipping cream
150g Greek yogurt
1 tbsp icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
180g Waitrose & Partners British Cherries, halved and pitted
1 tsp Cooks’ Ingredients Rose Petals
1. Preheat the oven to 150oC, gas mark 2; line a large baking tray with parchment. Put the sugar in a roasting tin and warm in the oven for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, put the egg whites in a large mixing bowl with a pinch of salt; using electric beaters, beat on medium speed to soft peaks.
2. One spoonful at a time, sprinkle the sugar over the egg whites and whisk on medium-high speed until dissolved and incorporated. Finish adding the sugar in small amounts and beat constantly until you have a stiff-peaked, glossy meringue.
3. Mix the cornflour, lemon juice and rose water; sprinkle over the meringue, then beat in for 30 seconds. Dip a cocktail stick into the food colouring; swipe through the meringue. Repeat 3-4 times, then use a metal spoon to mix the colour through the meringue (add more colouring if you wish).
4. Spoon 4 piles of the meringue onto the parchment; use a spoon to round the edges and make a dip in the middle (for the topping). Put the meringues in the oven, lower the temperature to 130oC, gas mark 1, and bake for 1 hour. Turn off the oven, prop open the door and leave the meringues to cool inside the oven for at least 1 hour.
5. For the topping, use a balloon whisk to whisk the cream, yogurt, icing sugar and vanilla to soft peaks. Spoon into the cooled meringues. Scatter the cherries and rose petals over the top and serve immediately.
Rose water is quite a strong ingredient, so just 2-3 drops will give the meringue a lovely fragrance.
Typical values per serving:
Per serving 1654kJ
This recipe was first published in Thu Jul 01 09:21:07 BST 2021.
Average user rating