Save to your scrapbook
Chicken & chorizo stew with garlic sourdough topping
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
1 tbsp olive oil
8 chicken thighs
2 large onions, finely sliced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
240g Spanish chorizo ring, skin removed and sliced
2 x 400g cans cannellini beans, drained
400g can chopped tomatoes
500ml chicken stock
3 x sourdough ciabatta rolls (from the bread counter)
4 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
50g smoked almonds, chopped
25g flat leaf parsley, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC, gas mark 4. Heat a large shallow casserole, add the olive oil. Season the chicken and add to the pan, skin-sides down, in batches if necessary. Fry over a high heat until the skin is golden and crisp. Remove and set onto a plate.
2. In the same pan, fry the onions gently until soft and golden, add the garlic, paprika and chorizo and continue to cook for 2 minutes until the chorizo starts to release its oil. Stir in the beans, chopped tomatoes and stock and bring to a simmer. Return the chicken, skin-side up, and bake in the oven for 30 minutes until the meat is thoroughly cooked with no pink meat and juices run clear.
3. To freeze at this point, allow to cool completely before freezing in a labelled freezerproof container. Store in freezer for up to 1 month.
4. To serve and reheat, remove the stew from the freezer, allow to defrost overnight in the fridge (covered), then reheat in a large shallow casserole over a medium heat until piping hot.
5. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180ºC, gas mark 4. Tear the bread into chunks and toss in a bowl with the olive oil and garlic. Pile on top of the chicken and place in the oven for 30 minutes or until piping hot throughout and the topping is golden and crisp. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes, before scattering over the chopped almonds and the parsley. Serve with a dressed salad. Do not reheat again once cooled.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in November 2020.