Save to your scrapbook
Ching-He Huang's Fujian cod and scallop sticky rice
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Serves: 4 - 6
For the sticky rice:
400g Thai hom mali or sticky rice, rinsed well in cold water
1½ tbsp vegetable bouillon powder or 1 crumbled vegetable stock cube
For the fish:
450g skinless cod fillet, cut into 1cm-thick slices
250g scallops, small if possible
1 tbsp Cooks’ Ingredients Shaoxing Rice Wine
3 tbsp Cooks’ Ingredients Cornflour
For the sauce:
50g dried shiitake mushrooms
1 tbsp rapeseed oil
1 tbsp fresh ginger, finely grated
1 large red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
100g canned bamboo shoots, drained, rinsed and shredded
150g Tenderstem broccoli, sliced thinly
2 tbsp Cooks’ Ingredients Shaoxing Rice Wine
2 tbsp Cooks’ Ingredients Light Soya Sauce
2 tbsp Cooks’ Ingredients Chinese Rice Vinegar
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
2 tbsp cornflour
Small handful of finely chopped coriander stems
1 red chilli, deseeded and shredded
Fresh coriander leaves
1. Place the rice in a heavy saucepan and pour in 700ml cold water. Add the bouillon powder or stock cube, bring to a simmer then reduce the heat to low. Place the lid on and cook gently for 20-25 minutes until all the water has evaporated. Fluff the grains up and keep a lid on the rice until ready to serve.
2. Slice the cod into 1cm pieces and place into a bowl with the scallops. Season with some salt and ground white pepper. Add the rice wine, cornflour and 2 tbsp water and gently massage into the fish pieces.
3. Rinse the shiitake mushrooms in warm water, then transfer to a heatproof bowl and pour over 400ml hot water. Leave to soak for 5 minutes then drain over a bowl, reserving the soaking water.
4. Fill a wok halfway with 1L water and bring to the boil. Gently add the fish fillet slices in and poach for 30-40 seconds until opaque (don’t cook them all the way through). Gently lift the pieces out using a slotted spoon and set aside. Clean the wok.
5. Reheat the wok until smoking. Add the rapeseed oil and give the oil a swirl. Add the grated ginger and the chilli, then give it a quick stir in the wok. Add the shiitake mushroom, stir for a few seconds then add the bamboo shoots and broccoli and toss, cooking for 1 minute. Add the rice wine, mushroom stock plus an extra 250ml water and bring to the boil. Season with light soya, rice vinegar, oyster sauce and sesame oil then gently stir to marry the flavours together. Mix the cornflour with 2 tbsp cold water, stir through and cook gently for 1-2 minutes.
6. Gently return the fish pieces and scallops to the wok using a pair of chopsticks to stir (being careful not to break up the fish pieces) and cook for 2 minutes until the fish is cooked through. Finish with a teaspoon of sesame oil, a final seasoning of ground white pepper and a handful of finely chopped coriander stems.
7. Spoon the rice into a large serving dish then pour the cod and scallops with the vegetables and sauce over the top. Sprinkle with chilli slices and coriander leaves and serve immediately.
This recipe was first published in Thu Feb 04 13:44:00 GMT 2021.