Save to your scrapbook
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Makes: 8 - 10
300g self-raising flour
75g butter, chilled and diced
50g caster sugar
150ml semi-skimmed milk
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Place the flour
in a mixing bowl and stir in the diced butter. Then, using your fingertips, rub it in, until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Stir in the sugar, then pour in the milk and mix together with a round-bladed knife to make a soft dough. When the mixture forms a rough ball, place on a work surface that has been lightly dusted with flour.
3. Knead the dough briefly to smooth out the cracks. Take care not to overwork it, or your scones will not rise so well. Roll out to about 1½-2cm thick and cut into rounds using a 6cm pastry cutter. Gather up all the scraps of dough, knead briefly, roll out again and cut out further scones.
4. Arrange the scones on a baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until they have risen and are golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack.
5. Serve warm or cold. Split the scones, spread with butter and strawberry conserve, and top with whipped or clotted double cream.
Typical values per serving:
(making 8) vegetarian
This recipe was first published in Tue Jun 02 12:14:00 BST 2020.