Save to your scrapbook
Courgette and ricotta hotcakes with maple bacon
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
12 rashers smoked British streaky bacon
400g pack cherry vine tomatoes
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp maple syrup
pinch cayenne pepper
2 courgettes, grated
2 garlic cloves, crushed
20g grated parmigiano reggiano
90g self-raising flour
3 eggs, separated
handful basil leaves, ½ shredded
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C, gas mark 6. Lay the bacon on a large parchment-lined baking tray; roast for 10 minutes. Put the tomatoes into a medium roasting tin with 1 tbsp oil, season and toss together. Turn the bacon, brush with the maple syrup and sprinkle with the cayenne. Put the bacon and tomatoes in the oven for a final 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Add the courgettes and garlic, season and fry, stirring regularly for about 10-12 minutes until the water has bubbled off and the courgettes are starting to take on colour.
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the ricotta, parmesan, flour and egg yolks with a wooden spoon. Season; stir in the courgette mixture and shredded basil leaves. In a separate bowl, using electric beaters, whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks, then fold into the mixture.
4. Wipe out the courgette pan, then add ½ tbsp oil. Scoop heaped dessertspoonfuls of the batter into the pan, frying 3-4 hotcakes at a time (you want to make 8 hotcakes in total); cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. Repeat with the remaining oil and hotcake mixture. (If necessary turn the oven to low and keep the bacon, tomatoes and any cooked hotcakes warm while you finish cooking.)
5. Serve 2 hotcakes per person with the bacon, tomatoes (plus any roasting juices) and remaining basil leaves. A spoonful of Greek yogurt alongside works nicely too, if liked.
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose & Partners Food, January 2019 issue. Download the Waitrose & Partners Food app for the full issue
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Thu Dec 27 17:30:17 GMT 2018.