Save to your scrapbook
Heston's pork, vanilla & apple stuffing
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
'Vanilla works brilliantly in savoury dishes. Its inclusion here - with caramelised apples - creates a stuffing that’s full of flavour.'
Serves: 6 - 8
For the sausagemeat:
10g grapeseed oil
3 small onions,finely chopped
2 x 454g packs sausagemeat
2 tsp dijon mustard
2 vanilla pods, seeds scraped
1 lemon, finely grated zest
2 tsp coriander seeds, toasted and finely ground
1½ tsp finely ground black pepper
For the caramelised apples:
4 granny smith apples
60g golden caster sugar
For the crumb:
Grapeseed oil, for frying
20g Cooks’ Ingredients breadcrumbs
20g sesame seeds
1. For the sausagemeat, put the oil in a pan over a medium heat. After a couple of minutes, add the onions; cook until soft and translucent. Transfer to a tray lined with kitchen paper; cool completely, then mix in a bowl with the remaining ingredients until well combined. Cover with cling film and chill until needed.
2. Peel and core the apples, slice the top and bottom off, then slice in half resulting in 2 rings. Using a large ring cutter, cut any excess from the edges of the apple to create even rings.
3. Place a baking dish, about 20cm x 24cm, on the stove over a medium-low heat and allow to heat up for a few minutes. Sprinkle the sugar over the dish's surface; allow to caramelise to a medium-brown colour. Place the apple rings to cover the surface, allow to caramelise for about 4-5 minutes on each side, then take the pan off the heat; cool completely.
4. Preheat the oven to 180˚C, gas mark 4. Once cool, press the sausagemeat down onto the apples, to form an even surface.
5. For the crumb, heat 5cm oil in a small saucepan over a medium-high heat to reach 180˚C. Add the breadcrumbs; fry until golden brown. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the breadcrumbs to a tray lined with kitchen paper. Toss together the breadcrumbs and sesame seeds; scatter over the sausagemeat. Bake for 30 minutes.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Wed Oct 01 11:41:00 BST 2014.
Average user rating