Save to your scrapbook
Lemon & pistachio Easter cake
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
For the marzipan:
100g Love Life Pistachios
50g ground almonds
Golden Caster Sugar
75g icing sugar
1 medium essential Waitrose egg white, lightly beaten
For the cake:
175g butter, softened
175g Billington's Golden Caster Sugar
Finely grated zest of 2 lemons, plus 3 tbsp juice
3 medium essential Waitrose Free Range Eggs
225g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
For the butter icing:
75g butter, softened
75g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
1 tbsp lemon juice
Chopped pistachios, to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Grease and base line
2x20cm sandwich tins. To make the marzipan, put the pistachios
in a food processor and blend until finely ground. Add the almonds, caster sugar, icing sugar and the egg white and blend to a paste.
2. For the cake, put the butter, sugar, lemon zest, eggs, flour and baking powder in a bowl and beat with a hand-held electric whisk until pale and creamy. Beat in the lemon juice and spoon a quarter of the mixture into each of the tins. Level the surface.
3. Halve the pistachio marzipan and roll out each on a surface dusted with icing sugar until slightly smaller than the tins. Press gently over the sponge filling and cover with the remaining mixture. Bake for 35–40 minutes or until risen and just firm to the touch.
4. Loosen the edges of the cakes with a knife and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
5. For the icing, beat the butter with the icing sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the lemon juice and use to sandwich the cakes together on a serving plate. Dust the top lightly with icing sugar and scatter with chopped pistachios to decorate.
Try swapping the butter icing for softly whipped cream swirled with a spoonful of lemon curd. Keep chilled and eat on the same day.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in February 2015.