Save to your scrapbook
Martha Collison's vegan chilli tacos
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
3 Cooks’ Ingredients Ancho Chillies
25g pack coriander, stems finely chopped, leaves picked
3 cloves garlic, crushed or finely grated
1 tsp Cooks’ Ingredients Smoked Paprika
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground cumin
400g can Essential Red Kidney Beans
400g can Waitrose Duchy Organic Black Beans
400g can beluga lentils
400g can Mutti Polpa Finely Chopped Tomatoes
1 tbsp Mutti Double Concentrate Tomato Purée
1 tsp Cooks’ Ingredients Chipotle Paste
1 tbsp Marmite
1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
50g 70% vegan dark chocolate, finely chopped
1 lime, juiced
8 Essential Waitrose Large Tortilla Wraps
1 large avocado, chopped
Vegan yogurt, to serve
Cooks’ Ingredients Coriander leaves, to serve
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 8-10 minutes until softened.
2. Tear the dried chillies into a small container. Cover with 75ml boiling water and allow to soak until soft.
3. Add the coriander stalks and garlic to the onions. Stir in and fry for 1 minute before adding the paprika, ground coriander and ground cumin until aromatic (1-2 minutes).
4. Meanwhile, drain and rinse the beans and lentils, then transfer them to the pan along with the chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, chipotle paste, Marmite and soaked chillies. Bring the chilli mixture to the boil, then leave to simmer with the lid on for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid it sticking to the bottom of the saucepan.
5. Add the chopped pepper and simmer without the lid for 20 minutes, or until the chilli is thickened and the pepper is tender. Add the dark chocolate and let it melt in, then add the lime juice and season to taste with salt. Remove from the heat.
6. To make the tacos, first take one of the racks out of the oven. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6 and make sure there is enough space around the wire rack tray to allow the tortillas to hang down from the wire. Drape 2 wraps over a couple of the wires of the rack, then bake for 8 minutes until crisped into the shape of a taco. Carefully remove from the oven and repeat to make however many tacos you need. Allow to cool slightly before filling with the vegan chilli, dairy free yogurt, avocado and coriander leaves.
Typical values per serving:
Vegan. Per serving (for 4, with 25g coconut collab)
This recipe was first published in September 2021.