Save to your scrapbook
Martha Collison's Welsh cakes
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
225g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
100g butter, cold and cubed
75g caster sugar, plus extra for dusting
1 Waitrose British Blacktail Medium Free Range Egg
2 tbsp milk
1. Place the flour and butter into a large mixing bowl and rub together between your fingertips until you get a breadcrumb-like consistency. Stir the sugar into the mixture. Beat the egg in a separate bowl, then pour into the dry ingredients and add the milk. Mix together to form a soft dough, being careful not to overdo the mixing or your cakes will become tough.
2. Place a large, non-stick frying pan or flat griddle pan on the hob, set the heat to medium-low and leave to warm up.
3. Meanwhile, lightly flour the work surface and roll out the dough to 0.5cm thick. Use a 6cm diameter cutter to make rounds of dough, rerolling the scraps and cutting until all the dough is used.
4. Test that your pan is fully hot by taking a small scrap of dough and placing it into the pan. It should take around 1 minute for the bottom to begin to brown. If the dough browns too quickly, lower the heat and wait for the pan to cool before cooking your cakes.
5. Cook the Welsh cakes in small batches for 2-3 minutes until golden brown on the bottom, then flip over and cook for the same amount of time on the other side. Continue to cook the cakes until all the dough is used up, then serve warm dusted with a little caster sugar.
Other flavours to try
Stir 50g currants into the dough at the end of step 1, then cook as directed (above).
Cherry & coconut
Roughly chop 25g glace cherries, then add to the dough at the end of step 1 along with 4 tbsp desiccated coconut. Cook as directed.
Milk chocolate & chai
Stir 2 tbsp chai latte powder into the flour. Chop 50g milk chocolate into small pieces and add at the end of stage 1, then cook as directed.
Raspberry & white chocolate
Chop 50g white chocolate into small pieces and add to the mixture with 2 tbsp of freeze-dried raspberries at the end of stage 1. Cook as directed.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Thu Mar 01 13:36:00 GMT 2018.