Save to your scrapbook
Martha's brown butter pancakes with butterscotch sauce & pecans
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
100g plain flour
2 Waitrose British Blacktail Medium Free Range Eggs
Butter, for frying
75ml double cream
75g soft light
1 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of sea salt, or to taste
1 x basic batter
50g pecan nuts, roughly chopped
1. Place 50g of the butter into a small saucepan over a low heat until completely melted. Cook the butter, stirring occasionally, until the white solids separate out and begin to brown at the bottom of the pan. The butter will foam and start to smell toasty. Remove the pan from the heat immediately and add the browned butter to the pancake batter.
2. To make the butterscotch sauce, place the cream, remaining 25g butter, sugar and vanilla extract into the saucepan you used to brown the butter and heat gently for 3-4 minutes or until the ingredients are well combined. Turn up the heat and allow the mixture to bubble for a further 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Season with sea salt to taste, then pour into a jug and set to one side.
3. Heat a 20cm frying pan over a medium heat, then test the pan by ladling in a small amount of batter. It should take around 1 minute to brown on the bottom. If it browns too quickly, lower the temperature slightly, and do the opposite if it cooks too slowly and becomes rubbery.
3. When the pan is at the right temperature, add in a small knob of butter and then pour in a ladleful of batter. Swirl the pan to coat the bottom, then allow the pancake to cook for 1 minute on each side, or until cooked through. Keep covered and warm in a low oven while you fry the rest.
4. Wipe out the frying pan and add the chopped pecan nuts. Toast the nuts for 2-3 minutes, keeping them moving around the pan so they don’t catch.
5. Serve the pancakes with the butterscotch sauce and the toasted pecan nuts. These are best eaten immediately.
Typical values per serving:
per 2 pancakes
This recipe was first published in February 2018.